Do you want to start doing Tracy Anderson Method but you don’t know where to start? This is a question that I get a lot every day so I thought it might be a good idea to write a post about it. In this post I will try to help you getting started on your journey, as I did with mine. I will share with you my experience and my thoughts if you are new to her Method. There are many DVD’s out there and it can be somewhat confusing as to where to start.
If you have decided to start her method, good for you. If you are still hesitating, I’ll explain further so that you can decide for yourself. Nowadays, there are many awesome methods out there, all lots of fun, and this is one of them. This method can be tricky and challenging to follow. She moves fast and rotations are key. She rotates her arms in specific ways and at a very fast pace, reaching all those little, tiny muscles in the arms to make them look lean and defined.
If you have never worked out with her, I wouldn’t recommend to start out with streaming (This is only in my opinion). I think it can be frustrating for someone new to the Method. You might get all of the moves, but most people probably won’t. And, if you don’t do the rotations like you are supposed to, you will not get the results she is after. So, this is what I would recommend:
If you are new to the method and you are NOT into fitness:
- Start with her Beginners DVD’s
- Do them until you feel comfortable and it does not feel challenging anymore.
- Once you feel okay, move on to a more advanced DVD, such as Precision Toning or method mat. Precision toning is a bit more paused because she explains what she is doing. In Method Mat, she will not guide during the workout. In my case, I started with this DVD, but it was OK for me because I had been into fitness for maaaany years, so I did not feel that lost. If you feel like you do not need that much guidance you can do both and alternate, too.
- Once you feel like you are mastering these DVD’s, go ahead and do Metamorphosis. Even though it’s tough, you will be ready for it. You will have to choose your body type and that will personalize the workout that best fits you and your body type (glutcentric if you tend to gain wait in your bum and hips, omnicentric, if you tend to gain weight all over, etc).
- Once you finish Metamorphosis, you move on to Continuity OR Streaming. (Go to my post about streaming with TA for more information).
If you are new to the method but you know how to listen to your body and control your moves:
- Start with precision toning DVD
- Once you feel like you master it you can move on to Metamorphosis or Streaming.
This is really your choice. Both are great. Metamorphosis changes every 10 days and you will have access to new content, like in streaming. The only difference is that metamorphosis is cheaper ($90 for a whole 90 day workout versus $100 for one month of streaming) than streaming and music is not a lot of fun in meta, In streaming you will have access to her studios and her updated, new weekly content, which, for me, is AWESOME.
If you follow these steps, I think, you will be off to a good start. This method is really about connection, listening to your body and moving on when you feel is the right moment.